Saturday, November 5, 2011

Perspective

Sometimes, in life, there are aspects about yourself that people make fun of.   For example, in my old job many people would comment and snicker about how short I was (I'm mentally glaring at specific people - you know who you are).  Or, many of my friends would comment about how white I was and my ability to blend in with bright lights and white walls.

HOWEVER, in China...these facts are viewed differently.

- I'm tall here!  (Except for the other day when I was smashed into the corner of an elevator by a really tall Chinese man and 10 of my students.  As I was straining my neck to look up at him, I had a weird sense of long ago de ja vu.) 

- Being this pasty white is a whole new experience here.  I have actually seen facial cleansers with whitening cream (I try to avoid buying those).  The other day at the copy shop, one of the friendly workers giggled and grabbed my arm to compare skin colors. The whole store then got into the conversation and once again...how white I am was highlighted.

So, if the kids make fun of you on the playground...I recommend moving to a new country.

No comments:

Post a Comment