Sunday, March 11, 2012

Falling for him...

This week's topic for Freshman English: Dating 
I opened the class with a dating story from my own experience...

At my college during Alumni Week, we had something called GYROFAD night. (Get Your Roommate or Friend a Date)  I did not normally participate in these things, but due to a scheduling conflict I was called in last minute to replace a girl on my floor for a double date.  To protect the innocent I've changed the names, so we will say that Julie and I were going on a date with Chris and Tom. 

Chris and Tom took us out for a nice dinner and then, in typical Chicago fashion, we went for a stroll along Navy Pier.  (Now, I won't lie, the date was going pretty good up to this point.  The men were nice, polite, excellent conversationalists, and good looking.  What more could a girl ask for?)  Navy Pier twinkled against the dark Chicago sky casting a soft light on the path as we strolled along with conversation easily flowing around us.  I, of course, gave unwavering attention to Tom as he eloquently shared a delightful story with me.

(This is where the story ceases to be a good dating story and becomes a "what in the world did Lizzie do this time" story.)

Paying close attention to Tom, led me to not pay close attention to the dimly lit path.  This dimly lit path happened to have a clearly marked construction hole.  So, we were walking and talking and then...I fell.  Not for him, but into the construction hole.  Yes, I did.  It was about knee deep which was just deep enough to leave me uninjured but completely humiliated.  Tom rushed to help me up and checked several times to ensure that I wasn't harmed.  Fortunately, my pride is on the inside so he couldn't see the cavernous wound it received.  We then spent the rest of the walk sharing embarrassing and funny stories.  Lucky for me, I had just added another to my long list and was able to regale them with many more events such as this one.

Moral of the story: Some women fall for attractive men…I just fall in front of them.

6 comments:

  1. Lizzie, you know I love a good story AND especially one that let's us laugh at ourselves. I could just picture this ...and feel your pain :). Ah, falling for or near someone can be hazardous ! Amy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The jokes for this one lasted a long time..."Lizzie really fell hard for Tom..." etc etc etc Hazardous indeed!

      Delete
  2. I'm catching on my blog reading and just read this post today. I love this story so much! Thanks for sharing. :) Other than falling the hole, it sounds like a fun date night!

    ReplyDelete