Saturday, March 3, 2012

5 Activities that Make You Happy

Each morning, I receive an email that challenges me to do something small to improve my physical, mental, and/or emotional well being.  Today's challenge: Write down Five Activities that Make You Happy. At some point this week, I'm supposed to complete at least one of the five activities.  I won't bore you with all the mundane workings of my happy meter, but my 5th option seemed just a bit odd.

5. Figuring something out so that I can help someone.

Today, I checked quite a few things off my "beginning of the semester to-do list."  Check, Check, Check!  I then rewarded myself by watching The Blind Side.  As I watched the amazing compassion of Mrs. Tuohy and the incredible persistence of his tutor, Miss Sue, I marveled at their courage and honor.  My happiness meter registered a full tank as I watched these women invest in Michael's life and make a difference.  BUT…a nagging feeling kept bubbling up inside because I felt that I was forgetting someone.  That someone…was the science teacher.  Do you remember her?  She was the first to verbally give the tests to Michael.  Throughout the movie you see her challenging her fellow teachers to look at Michael in a different light.  She met him where he was and she worked with him…in a unique way, but in the way he needed.

She…Figured something out so that she could help someone. 

As I struggle, muddle, and fuddle my way through my first year of teaching I often get discouraged.  BUT, maybe teaching isn't so different from what I already love doing. 
Maybe teaching is...
Figuring something out, aka figuring out what my students need, figuring out where they are, figuring out how I can encourage them, figuring out how they learn…
So that, I can help someone.

Teaching…One of the Five Activities that Make Me Happy...I'll do that this week.

2 comments:

  1. How did you start receiving those emails? Could you forward them to me?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sent you an invite via email...let me know if you get it! Yay!

      Delete