Sunday, March 18, 2012

Hi Pot, This is Kettle...

Luck…yeah, Americans don't believe in luck.

Uh huh.  Keep telling yourself that. 

For this week's Sophomore attendance question I asked, "Do you believe in luck?" Fully expecting to get a range of answers and maybe some discussion, I only received a resounding yes.  Some even laughed at my audacity to ask the question.  Like there could be any answer but yes…apparently.

Moving on…I asked them to tell me what they did to ensure good luck. (aka What do you do before a big exam?) 

   * Eat a hot dog and 2 eggs (It looks like 100 - perfect score)
   * Wear red
   * Wear Nike (The swoosh looks like a check-mark for a correct answer)
   * Stop showering (She was worried the answers would wash away.)
   * Stand a pillow upright and cut it (I can't remember the "why" behind this one.)
   * Pray

However, I also made a list of things we might do in the US.

   * Knock on wood if someone talks about something bad
   * Throw salt over your shoulder
   * Not walk under ladders
   * Wear a "lucky" article of clothing (I wear the same shirt for all the races I run)
   * Rub someone's bald head (Basketball players everywhere are nodding to this one)
   * Pray

The difference: One culture admits their use of the crutch called luck and the other secretly embraces it. 
The unique similarity: We, if we are honest, often treat prayer like a good luck charm.

"Hi Pot, This is Kettle.  I thought I'd wear black for good luck this week."

1 comment:

  1. AH yes. The Chinese are very "fatalistic" (meaning that they believe strongly in fate) -- so the only way to change things, the only hope you have, is through luck. While this is probably a normal response the world over, it's a good reminder that THAT is not where my hope lies ... do my thoughts, beliefs, and actions consistenly reflect this?! Good question! Amy

    ReplyDelete