Monday, March 19, 2012

The Widow's Oil

Chocolate Chip Joy
So I'm not a widow and I am definitely not running out of oil but, once again, my circumstances remind me of the Widow's Oil.

You see, I'm not really a hoarder.  I usually love to give and share with other people.  BUT…In China, I have tightened my grip on a few things, namely Crisco and Nestle Tollhouse Chocolate Chips.

The Talcott Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe calls for Crisco, butter, and Chocolate Chips.  You can get butter in Harbin, but Crisco and Nestle Tollhouse Chocolate chips are US only.  If you want to make Chocolate Chip Cookies, you generally chop up a candy bar and you use a recipe that doesn't require Crisco.

This past weekend, I invited my Freshman over to make green snicker doodles for St. Patty's Day.  When they got to my house they pleaded with me to make Chocolate Chip cookies as well.  I realized that I didn't have a chocolate bar or the other recipe ready.  But, I had been hoarding a bag of Tollhouse Chocolate Chips with just enough Crisco for one last, special round of cookies.  So, with a pang in my heart, I brought out my hoarded ingredients and baked the cookies with them.  The girls literally danced with joy.

He then reminded me that He knows me, inside and out.  He even knows my childish way of clinging to Crisco and Chocolate Chips for security and comfort. 
For you see, today I received an unexpected package from the states.  And you guessed it, a new bag of Chocolate Chips rested on top.  I almost cried when I saw those beautiful morsels of happiness...tears of joy and tears because I had once again doubted His goodness. 

Deep in my soul, I know I can trust Him with my future AND my chocolate chips.  It's in remembering to trust Him that I so often fail.

Help my unbelief...

3 comments:

  1. I SO GET THIS. I read "the 100 Thing Project" last week and it has me wondering why I hoard so much -- in the small ways, not the big. I've also been thinking about the concept of "enough" (which I'll blog about later this week). Thanks for modeling generosity! Amy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't wait to read your blog! (I thought my days of worrying about having too much were over when I packed my life into 2 suitcases...but I quickly re-accumulated!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh the small things ... that is often were I struggle the most too. Thanks for reminding me that my constant cry should be "help my unbeilf"!

    ReplyDelete