Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Today's Freshman Lesson: Friends

On the chalkboard I wrote "Characteristics of a Good Friend."  The students then came up with adjectives to describe their best friend:

Kind, patient, giving, caring, warm-hearted, honest, compassionate, respectful, thoughtful, gentle, unselfish, humble etc.

With the list of adjectives, each student excitedly bragged about their best friend to their partner.  Afterwards I asked, "Now, are you all of these things to your best friend?" Silence...their shocked faces displayed their thoughts loud and clear.  Did I really expect them to be all of those things?!?
But, how could I expect them to be what I was not?  Tears sprang to my eyes as I looked at the list, for my best friend truly was and I was not.

Today's Life Lesson: Friends...Be unto others as you would have them be unto you…
I really do have the best best friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment