Sunday, August 7, 2011

Firmness

Every night as I fall asleep on my Chinese bed, I contemplate the word firmness.  Those of you who have slept on a Chinese bed know why.

In my contemplation of the word firmness I decided to look it up in the dictionary.
Dictionary.com: Not soft or yielding when pressed; comparatively solid, hard, stiff or rigid; securely fixed in place
Foolish Dictionary*: That admirable quality in ourselves that is detestable stubbornness in others.

As I laughed at the foolish dictionary’s definition, I was struck by the truth of it.  Why is it that we admire stubbornness (calling it by a name of some random virtue) in our own lives, and despise stubbornness in others?

I hope that as I live in this new culture, I will leave behind my desire to remain securely fixed in place.  I hope that I will not remain firm and unyielding.  Rather, I hope to bend and flow and grow in this amazing culture that astounds me daily.

*The Foolish Dictionary: An exhausting work of reference to un-certain English words, their origin, meaning, legitimate and illegitimate use, confused by a few pictures.  By Wallace Goldsmith


My firm Chinese bed
Finding Rest in China

1 comment:

  1. Haha... oh I totally remember the firmness of the beds in China! I remember when we got to Bejing, the first thing I wanted to do was to flop down on a nice soft bed. Nedless to say, I did that , but the bed was anything BUT soft! :)

    ReplyDelete