Thursday, August 18, 2011

The Park

While in Beijing, our teacher told us to observe, observe some more, and then ask questions.

Well, this morning I observed.

I observed men performing synchronized sword exercises.
I observed group tai chi.
I observed people clapping and hitting themselves (It looked random but I doubt it was random).
I observed friends jogging through the park together.
I observed many people completing the exercise circuit in the workout park.
I observed men listening intently to their teacher on how to perfect their character calligraphy.
I observed hackysack, singing, and talking with friends.
I observed intentional beauty in the park.

I observed discipline, community and serenity.

My question: Why did it take me so long to come here?

Workout circuit

Calligraphy Practice


4 comments:

  1. Was your park adventure at the Temple of Heaven? If you haven't made it there yet in the early morning, you gotta check it out before you leave Beijing! One incredible sight after another. It was a highlight of our last visit. Truly an unforgettable Chinese experience (one of the GOOD ones!;-) So enjoy being along for your first adventures in China. Part of me wishing, with every good laugh, that I could join you and Beth and all...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds awesome. Yay for parks and people watching! One of my favorite things to do in a foreign country is sit in a beautiful place and observe. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! It's like a whole new level of sidewalk chalk! I hope you jumped in on the exercise circuit! Keep observing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE the parks in China! I'm glad you were able to enjoy a day in the park. Don't you wish our whole small group could've been there to have gone through the exercise circuit? Now THAT would've been amazing! Here's to wishing you many more fun and exciting adventures in China!

    ReplyDelete