Saturday, December 31, 2011

"From Scratch"

I used to think that I baked from scratch. I was wrong.

For example, I used to make a coffee cake “from scratch.” The recipe called for chopped pecans and sour cream. I would often buy the pre-chopped pecans and the sour cream that came in the 1 cup container. Then I would simply dump in both ingredients. China has since taught me that my “from scratch” wasn’t even scratching the surface. (Yes, that pun made me literally laugh out loud)

For starters…
If you want chopped pecans, you have to first SHELL the pecans and then you have to CHOP the pecans.
If you want sour cream, you have to first travel across town to the import store, buy a big thing of whipping cream, add vinegar and literally SOUR the cream. Now that’s from scratch.

However, our team leader takes “from scratch” to a whole new extreme. I just tasted Stollen for the first time in my life…and I don’t have the words to describe the wonder of it. The baking process lasted for at least two days. The recipe involved shelling pecans, plumping raisons, roasting almonds, sifting sugar, doing something with vanilla beans, and letting dough rise at least 2-3 times. However, the result was something that packaged and boxed will NEVER come close too. I will now mark time by PreStollen and AfterStollen.

Speaking of time…HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!

stol·len

[stoh-luhn; Ger. shtaw-luhn]
noun German Cookery .
a sweetened bread made from raised dough, usually containing nuts, raisins, and citron.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment