Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Courageous

On the flight from Chiang Mai to Seoul I watched the movie "Courageous." I recommend. 

Anyway, there is scene that had me laughing so hard that I had tears rolling down my face.  A kind hearted Hispanic man was, by sheer coincidence, placed in the back of a police car with a young gangster.  To protect him from the real gangster, the cops said he was the member of a (imaginary) vicious gang. 

Not knowing what to do, he told the kid his upcoming lunch order...in Spanish...in a menacing voice.  The kid, not understanding a word, starts freaking out. He was terrified for his life, and the guy was only talking about his chicken sandwich, waffle fries, and lemonade.  Hilarious - really.

Then I thought more about it.  I think the future is often like the kind man talking about his upcoming trip to Chick-fil-A.  The problem with the future is that the past is a vicious gang of memories. The future speaks a language we can't understand...and through the filter of past mistakes, we hear menace...and we fear.

But what if, all the future is talking about, is an upcoming trip to Chick-fil-A.
...I want to go to Chick-fil-A...

1 comment:

  1. I was just saying the other night (as I ate a sandwich from Chick-fil-A)... Chick-fil-A needs to go to China, or better yet, China needs some Chick-fil-A! Wonder why it hasn't made it there yet.

    If I could send you some, I really would!

    ReplyDelete