Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Vow of Silence

When you were a child did your mom ever yell, "All I want is some peace and quiet!" As a child, did we ever understand why in the world she would want that? Nope...

However, I now understand...just like she promised I would.

Living in a big city means lots of noise.  Traffic, horns, vendors yelling, chickens clucking, and firecrackers are all a part of my usual cacophany of noise.  After a long semester, all I wanted was some peace and quiet.

However, once I arrived at the quiet retreat center I quickly realized that I don't do "quiet" well.  These people had walking, eating, everything down to an art of silence.  Whenever I clanked my silverware against my bowl I had to catch myself from calling out "Sorry!"

I began to worry that they were all thinking, "Here come those noisy, klutzy Americans" whenever they saw us.  But don't worry.  On the last day I wore my Canadian shirt to throw them off the trail.

The Main Garden where I spend most of my time.

No comments:

Post a Comment