Monday, January 9, 2012

Traffic Laws

During my short time in China, I have slowly come to realize a few of the completely unwritten but well known traffic/pedestrian rules of the road.  Now, before China-veterans everywhere laugh at the audacity of me writing this blog (I'm known to be a bit cautious), I will say that just because I know the rules doesn't mean I agree to follow all of them.

1. The rules are not written but are known and should be followed...unless you have a reason to not follow them.
2. A single pedestrian does not have right of way, but a group of pedestrians can take the right of way.
3. Crosswalks are good for crossing, but they still do not guarantee you the right to walk.
4. Pedestrians can walk when the walk signal says don't walk, but that means cars can go when the walk signal says walk.
5. When walking across a street, NEVER run.  Taxi's are mentally adjusting their trajectory for you and they have imputed the average Chinese walking speed in their equation...if you run you have thrown off the math of 10 taxi drivers.

Any questions?

No comments:

Post a Comment