Friday, January 27, 2012

Open Hands

When I first thought about coming to China I was worried about all I would be giving up.  I would be giving up my home, a job I love, my fellowship, language, family, security, culture, and the ability to flush my toilet paper.  All of these things tempted me to stay right where I was...but China kept calling.

So I gave it up.  My fingers were pried off all that I held dear in the States and I went.

Once my white-knuckled grip was broken, my hands remained open to receive all the amazing things He had in store for me.  When what you know is taken away, your ability to enjoy the other things in life intensifies.  It is almost as if my sight was taken so I could discover the beautiful symphony around me.

Here in Thailand I can't help but give thanks...for so many reasons.  My verbal filter is gone and I can share my thoughts without worry.  I am surrounded by so many people who fluently speak my native language. Both fahrenheit and celsius are well into the positive.  Bathrooms have toilet paper AND soap.  People smile and laugh.  The fresh fruit, Thai coffee, and amazing food fills my whole being with joy.  I often burst out with, "Oh taste and see that He is good!" After months in Harbin, my awe and excitement bubbles up over these seemingly small things.

However, if I had clung to my security at home I would never have opened my hands wide enough to receive all His blessings.  Once I shed my shoddy sense of security, He showered me with joys beyond compare.

"You anoint my head with oil, my cup runs over.  Surely goodness and mercy will follow me all the days of my life." Oh my hands are open!

No comments:

Post a Comment